Sunday, April 5, 2009

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes

Michelle over at Big Black Dogs tweeted about this recipe the other day and I had to try it. I am so glad I did! They were wonderful! I snuck some into the hospital for my Dad and for my Mom. Dad couldnt have one but Mom did and she said it was really good too. The Hermit liked them. They got YAYs all around! The only thing I might do different is put in more strawberries. I was worried I would put in too many and it would be mushy so I didnt put in enough or my dice was too small. Y'all be sure to check out Big Black Dogs blog because she has lots of VERY yummy recipes (and you can see just how pretty these cupcakes are!)!

Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes
Recipe developed by Big-Black-Dog

4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg yolks, at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tsp Instant Pink Lemonade Mix
4 large strawberries, carefully diced

Makes 9-10 regular sized cupcakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 10 muffin cups with baking cups and set aside.

Cream butter, sugar and lemonade mix until fluffy. Add vanilla, soda, salt and eggs yolks. Mix in buttermilk and gradually add flour.

Clean berries and remove the stem. With a very sharp knife slice the berries and then dice into 1/4" pieces careful to not crush the berries. If the berries are crushed and then added to the cupcakes, there will be too much moisture and your cupcakes will not bake properly.

Fill each baking cup with about a TBL of batter. Then sprinkle in each cup 5-6 pieces of fresh strawberry. Then add more batter per cup filling each to about 2/3 full.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a test straw can be cleanly removed.


Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe adapted from Sprinkle's Cupcakes

8 ounces cold cream cheese
1 stick butter, firm but not cold
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine butter, salt, and cream cheese in mixer and beat on medium speed 2-3 minutes. Add sugar until just incorporated. Don’t over mix. It should be thick but not fluffy. Add vanilla.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Those sound divine!! I am going to have to snark the recipe and bake up a batch soon! Thanks for sharing! :o)