Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Chicken Fried Steak

mMm. Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes, cream gravy, steamed corn, biscuits, and iced tea. Really. Makes your mouth water just thinking about it doesnt it? My gosh I was so full after that meal I thought The Hermit was going to have to roll me to bed. That's just a happiness comfort meal right there! While I was browsing some food blogs I stumbled across a post over at The Finer Things in Life about Chicken Fried Steak and decided I was just going to have to make that for dinner. I'm glad I did. The Hermit made a point of saying he liked it too (without me even asking! *astonished*)

Chicken Fried Steak

found via The Finer Things in Life

1/2 cup oil (I used vegetable oil)
1 package chicken fries or round steak (if using round steak, cut into serving-size pieces and tenderize with meat mallet or fork)
1-2 cups flour
salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs
splash of milk

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Season the flour with salt and pepper. Combine the eggs and milk. Pie plates work great for the flour and eggs.

Dredge the steak first in flour, then the eggs, then in flour again. Place in hot skillet.

Cook on one side for 5-10 minutes. The juices will come up through the flour. Flip it over. Cook for another 5-10 minutes on the other side.

Place cooked steak on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the oil.

No comments: