OMG I love this chili. Seriously, first attempt to make a none mostly processed gunk chili and it turned out so well! I was very excited about it. We had it with crackers because I was just worn out and couldnt deal with cornbread but it was still excellant. Even RLD said it was great. Note he said great and not just good. ;)
Chili Con Carne
2 T Vegetable Oil
1 Large White Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Large Green Pepper, chopped
1 1/2 lbs Lean Ground Beef
1/2 t Caraway Seed
15 oz Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
1 1/2 c Stewed Tomatoes
1 1/4 c Beef Broth, heated (I popped it in the micro for 30 sec)
4 T Tomato Paste
2 t Cayenne Pepper
1 t Paprika
1 t Crushed Red Peppers
Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Pinch of Sugar
Shredded Cheddar Cheese, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Heat oil in large, deep skillet (I used cast-iron). Add onions, garlic and green pepper; cook 7 to 8 minutes over medium heat.
3. Stir in meat and season. Add all seasonings and mix very well. Cook 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat.
4. Stir in kidney beans and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and sugar; cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beef broth and tomato paste; correct seasoning. Bring to boil.
6. Cover pan and cook 45 minutes in oven.