Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sausage Biscuits

I love biscuits and I love sausage so what could be better then a sausage biscuit?! When I saw this recipe in one of the cookbooks I stole borrowed from my parents I had to try it. I havent ever baked with self rising flour before so I'm not sure what was supposed to happen. They rose a bit but not a lot. They were very dense and definitely not the light and fluffy kind of biscuits. RLD says they taste like KFC biscuits. I think that next time instead of using self rising flour I'll use AP and adjust from there. I think the ratio is 1 cup AP + 1 teaspoon baking powder + 1/2 teaspoon salt = 1 cup self rising flour. They werent fluffy but they were pretty good. Would have been great with a white gravy over them.



Sausage Biscuits

1/2 lbs bulk sausage (use 1 pound bulk sausage next time)
1/4 shortening
2 cups self rising flour (use 2 cups AP flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt next time)
3/4 cup buttermilk
butter, melted

1. Cook sausage until done in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring to crumble.

2. Drain. Cut shortening into flour until mixture resembles meal.

3. Stir in buttermilk, mix, and add sausage.

4. Roll dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut out with a 2" cutter.

5. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes or until slightly browned.

6. Immediately brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter once you take them from the oven.

No comments: