Thursday, September 27, 2007

Braised Short Ribs



Normally when I make short ribs it's pretty simple. BBQ sauce and my crock pot. I thought I'd try something different yesterday. This recipe needs tweaking for sure. It wasnt bad just not as good as plain ole BBQ sauce. I'm not going to give up though and I'm going to keep playing with it until it's just the way I like.

Braised Short Ribs

Recipe found via allrecipes.com

1/2 cup all-purpose flour for coating
2 teaspoons salt
1 pinch ground black pepper
4 pounds beef short ribs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water
1 cup stewed tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
6 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 onions, chopped
6 carrots, chopped I left this out because I didnt have any carrots
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons water
herbs I added because it was so bland
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon basil


In a bowl, combine the 1/2 cup flour, salt and ground black pepper. Roll the ribs in the seasoned flour.
In a large pot, heat the oil and brown the ribs well on all sides. Pour in 1 cup boiling water, tomatoes, and garlic. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
Place the potatoes, onions, and carrots in the pot. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until all vegetables are tender. Remove the meat and vegetables to a serving platter.
In a separate small bowl, dissolve 1 1/2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons water for every one cup liquid remaining in the pot. Add this to the pot and stir well until thickened. Pour over meat and vegetables.

Next up: My first attempt at homemade pizza (sauce and dough)and peanut butter cookies. Wish me luck!

Note: I really need to figure out how to make my pictures so orange. Any tips are welcome.

No comments: