Sunday, September 23, 2007

BBQ, Central Market, and Chinese Eggplant! Oh my!


RLD and I decided to check out the new BBQ place that opened up down the street. Now the location they chose is a bit jinxed. There have been 3-4 restaurants there in the 3 yrs we have been back in this area. None of them BBQ though so maybe this one will have better luck. The name makes me giggle a bit Bar-B-Cutie and their mascot is a cartoon woman tipping her cowboy hat.

The "restaurant" is a hybrid between a fast food joint and a casual dining restaurant. They have a drive thru, walk up ordering, and self serve drink stations but they also have friendly ladies wandering around asking if you need a refill or anything at all. The service there was really great. Everyone was friendly and eager to please. At one point after RLD had placed his order the manager came over and apologized profusely that the baked potatoes werent ready and wanted to substitute for something else. He was extremely apologetic and seemed to be geninunely discontented with the fact that they couldnt provide exactly what we had ordered.

The food was good. Not bad and not spectacular. It was standard fare. I will say that their portions were big (I tried to snap a couple of pics with my camera phone but they turned out very blurry so I didnt bother to post them). We both ordered the sampler platter ($12.95) to get a taste of what they have to offer. RLD had smoked turkey, wet-rub baby back ribs, pulled pork, turnip greens, onion rings, and bbq bread (french bread that was grilled). I had brisket, mesquite chicken, pulled pork, onion rings, fried okra, and cornbread. It was a LOT of food. RLD raved and raved about the onion rings (which were good and not the pressed bits of onion but actual onion rings) and I really enjoyed the brisket. There were 3 types of bbq sauce to choose from on each table (and I loved the fact that they didnt bathe them in sauce and let us choose how much we wanted) . Sweet, Mild, and Hot. The sweet and mild tasted virtually the same to me but RLD picked up a tad bit more sweetness in the sweet sauce. The hot was the one I liked best. It had a nice bite to it and I could feel the heat without a doubt.

Overall, it was a good experience. I wouldnt go out of my way to go to BarbCutie but I also wouldnt avoid it. If I get the craving for bbq then that's where I'll head.

Bar-B-Cutie
5710 Rufe Snow Dr
North Richland Hills, Tx


I managed to coerce RLD into a trip to Central Market while we were at lunch. He groaned and grumped but agreed to make the "trek". It's not really a trek but it's about a 20 minute drive and he just likes to grump a lot. heh. I really love Central Market so it's probably a good thing it's not right around the corner or I would be there day and night, spending entirely too much money.

I've been reading a lot of foodie blogs this weekend and it got me really wanting to try something new. I decided that chinese eggplant was going to be my focus on this trip. I hadnt ever seen one much less cooked one so after a short discussion with the produce guy who helped me pick out a good one we were off to the rest of the store. I could spend a really really long time and a whole lot of money in that store. Whew!

RLD found a greek pinwheel steak "thingie" at the meat counter so we grabbed one of those. It's flank steak with feta and spinach wrapped around inside it. After grabbing a few more things include my pina colada smoothie (must.....have.....gelato) we headed out.

After scouring the web for a recipe for chinese eggplant and not just eggplant I found one at PBJ on Rye which worked perfectly (heh I had all of the ingredients). YAY for recipe searches online!

So tonight's dinner menu included:

Greek Pinwheel Steak
Chinese Eggplant
Brown Rice
Artisan Bread

I didnt really *cook* most of it but it was still really yummy! Now I just have to get my stupid camera to work. *shakes fist a her powershot*

No comments: