This recipe was messy but a lot of fun to make. It was the first time I'd worked with stuffing pasta smallish shells and anyone watching me would have giggled their butts off. It really is a simple dish with lots of yummy flavor! My version was uberhot but we like it kickin' around here! ;)
Sausage Stuffed Shells
12-18 large pasta shells, cooked
1 lb ground italian sausage, skins removed (I used spicy italian sausage)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups salsa, divided (I used Pace HOT)
1 cup grated cheese, divided
28 oz tomato sauce
chili powder, to taste
green onion, for garnish
1. Brown sausage and drain.
2. Add seasoning, water, onion, and 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.
3. Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce,and chili powder.
4. Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan.
5. Fill each shell with the sausage mixture and place in pan.
6. Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and garnish with green onion.
7. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.