Thursday, February 26, 2009

Baked Sausage Dogs!

Ron loves corn dogs. I amazed by how many he can put away in one sitting. They are entirely too expensive to buy by the box though and I'm not sure how healthy they are anyway.

So I was going to make this Friday but it got bumped up on the menu list and was made last night. This recipe was originally posted by Robin Sue over at Big Red Kitchen and when I showed Ron he wanted me to try it but with sausage instead.

Mine didnt turn out nearly as pretty as hers did but it was tasty. Ron wants it again and asked me to try adding bacon bits and onions to the cornbread. We'll see. I also think I'll use hot dogs next time. The sausage is heavier so it sunk to the bottom and was too big so just didnt work quite right.

Baked Corn Dogs
3 cups yellow self-rising corn meal mix (see note below)
3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
6 sausages

Preheat oven to 425°. In a stand mixer, mix all of the ingredients together leaving out the hot dogs of course! Once the mix is smooth, pour into a very greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the hot dogs in the batter according to the picture (I only had 10 hot dogs). Bake for 22-25 minutes or until corn bread is cooked through. Let cool slightly, then with a sharp knife cut around each hot dog insuring each dog is surrounded by corn bread. Serve with favorite condiments. Makes 11 Corn Dogs.

*I didnt have self rising cornmeal so I used the substitution equation of 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons cornmeal, 1 tablespoon baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt for each cup of self rising cornmeal.

2 comments:

Sara said...

What a great idea! I have chicken sausages at home, I am going to give this a try.

Anya said...

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!