Sunday, September 14, 2008

Banana Coconut Muffins

I have been out trolling all the delicious food blogs again. Seriously there are some absolutely fantastic blogs out there! This recipe is one I snagged from A Cookie A Day.... I always seem to end up with 1 or 2 bananas that are just well too ripe before I can eat them. Usually I just toss them or make banana bread but I really wanted to do something with these (other then banana bread!) and when I stumbled across this recipe I thought it was perfect!

Banana Coconut Muffins



1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 (3/4 cup) very ripe bananas, mashed
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes

Special equipment: a muffin tin with 8 (1/2-cup) muffin cups; paper liners (I used mini muffin tins to help lower the calorie content and make cute little snacks for my co-workers.)


1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with liners.

2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together bananas, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla, and 1/2 cup coconut in a large bowl until combined well, then fold in flour mixture until flour is just moistened.

3. Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup coconut. Bake until muffins are puffed and golden, about 25 minutes (I cooked the minis for 12 minutes). Transfer muffins to a rack and cool slightly.

Nutritional Info (calculated for mini muffins not fullsized):
Calories: 53
Fat: 2g
Sod: 26g
Carb: 8g
Prot: 1g

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I always seem to have bananas, and my significant other always wants banana bread. I think muffins are a great idea! I'll give these a try next.

Anya said...

I love bananas! They just turn to quick for me and while I love banana bread it gets old tooooooo quick *LOL*

Let me know how you like the recipe once you make it!