Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken

I love fried chicken. Really. I'm from the south. How could I not love fried chicken. What I dont like is the icky grease and since I've sworn off deep fried foods I was happy to see this recipe. Very very yummy.

Southern Oven "Fried" Chicken

adapted from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook - p151

1/2 c fat free buttermilk
1/2 c breadcrumbs (original recipe calls for cornflakes)
3 T all purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1/4 t freshly ground pepper
1 t cayenne (my addition, I love a kick in my fried chicken)
2 lbs chicken parts, skinned
4 t canola oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400; spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

2. Pour the buttermilk into a large shallow bowl. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, flour, salt, and pepper. Dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, coating completely. Place the chicken on the baking sheet; drizzle with the oil. Bake 30 minutes then turn chicken over. Bake until cooked through, 15-20 min longer.

4 servings (2 pieces per serving)

Nutritional info:
Cal: 229
Fat: 10g
Sat Fat: 2g
Chol: 64mg
Sod: 295mg
Carb: 11g
Prot: 23g

No comments: