Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Mozzarella in Carrozza, Fried Mozzarella Sticks and Marinara Sauce

I didnt get a picture because they were gobbled up too fast but yesterday I used up a block of mozzarella that needed to be used before the expiration date. I tried out 3 new recipes. Surprisingly they all turned out really really well.

The first is Mozzarella in Carrozza. This was quite yummy! It reminded of stuffed french toast. I found this while skimming through "Nigella Bites". It's very easy to make and I think if it was cut into 4 pieces and served with a marinara sauce or tomato soup for dipping it would make a great afterschool snack for kids or an appetizer.

Mozzarella in Carrozza

Adapted slightly from Nigela Bites

6 slices white bread, crusts removed fluffy sandwich bread works great
1 fist sized ball mozzarella, cut into approx 1/4 in slices then strips
1/2 cup whole milk
3 heaping tablespoons all purpose flour
1 egg I used 2
salt and pepper
olive oil (not extra virgin) for frying I used PAM Garlic Spray because I was out of olive oil. I added 2 small pats of butter at the very end for the flavor

1. Make sandwiches out of the bread and mozzarella, leaving a little margin around the edges unfilled with cheese, and press the edges together with your fingers to help seal.

2. Pour the milk into one soup bowl, the flour into another, and beat the egg with salt and pepper in another.

3. Warm the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Dunk the sandwiches briefly, one by one, in the milk (be *very* quick when dipping in the milk or the bread will fall apart), then dredge in the flour, then dip in the beaten egg.

4. Fry in hot oil on each side til crisp and golden and remove to a paper towel.

5. Cut in half and enjoy.

Fried Mozzarella Sticks have always been a favorite of mine whenever we hit one of the big chain restaurants like Chili's or TGIFriday's and I've wanted to try making them myself for a long time. I dont know why my brain thought these would be so difficult to make because they were very easy. RLD even said they tasted better then the restaurants. *preen*

Fried Mozzarella Sticks

1 lb. Mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1 1/2 c. vegetable oil

1. Slice the cheese 1/4 inch thick, then into sticks 4 inches long by 1 inch wide.

2. Roll cheese slices in the flour; dip in eggs; roll in bread crumbs, coating them well.
3. Heat oil in skillet until very hot. Fry a few sticks at a time until brown.

4. Drain and serve.

Marinara Sauce is an easy sauce to make that is versatile. You can use it as a sauce over pasta or as a dipping sauce for a variety of dippers. I used dried herbs because I didnt have any fresh in the apt but next time I want to try with fresh herbs. This makes a very chunky marinara sauce, if you prefer a thinner sauce you might add some tomato sauce and use half a can of diced tomatoes.

Marinara Sauce

1 can Diced Tomatoes
2 t Ground Oregano
2 t Ground Thyme
2 t Parsley
1.5 T Garlic Powder
2 t Ground Basil

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments: